The wolf and the raven...

Art: Wyl Draven

 Just 🖤

Pure perfection!

Say no more...

"The wolf and the raven", Firienholt


I retract... now I need to write it down. 

Published in February, 2023 - Edit. February 29, 2024


A life lived in search of power
To restore that greatest of loss
Fleeing from the truth of her torment
The Raven without a home
Her eyes glisten with the memory
Of the one to whom she was drawn
But by a spell hearts were enchanted
Forged what may never have been found.

Cast as a beast without feeling
Doomed to wander the wild alone
Feared by the same men he bleeds for
The White Wolf without a home
Bound under the stars he travels
Each step to destiny’s plan
His journey wandering in shadows
Searching for memory now unknown.

Lives eternally entangled
By the wish that binds them close, 
forever till the end
A home found in each other
An isle beyond mortal men, 
beyond the reach of death...



In a way, a mystical quest is portrayed here, the figure of two mythical and solitary creatures seems to incarnate that search, that eternal longing... 

The song reflects the pathos and quest and struggles faced by the Wolf and the Raven through their unfortunate separated paths in life, looking for each other longing for one another... That means, longing for that home, longing for that "place" where they belong (to me, the story gives us a token about something more than a love story, with no impairment of this, of course).

The Raven, lives a desperate search of power (and it's marked by that) to return to a connection that's now lost. Trying to conjure her powers over the realm of death an fate tries to reunite again with what's felt as her destiny.  She's is now a wanderer and a tormented soul by the memories of that loss, and still keeps wandering without a home.  

The Wolf, a wandering being as well, feared and cast by the skin of a beast without feeling (marked as such), solitaire he fights through shadows, in the middle of the night, and under the starlight.  And outkast and seen just as some monstruous beast, is accused and feared even by those he bleeds for; just like the dark knight warrior fighting through the shadows, in midst of the midnight.

Somehow, I felt those figures deploying some kind of a feminine and a masculine energy respectively, so please, allow me that interpretative freedom. (Disclaimer! not talking about feminine or masculine in a biological way, I hope that was clear).

They both are solitary wanderers, somehow misunderstood, somehow, apparently condemned to a world that's big, empty, and harsh, a materialistic world full of appearances and skins where they can't find each other, where no one else's seeing their souls.  Separated in forms by a spell but always connected through their immanent essence. And somehow, always and forever entangled by a wish, that never ending thirst of connection, search of their purpose in wandering, their purpose in life, the longing for that place that we all can call home...  Something beyond this world, something even beyond the death, something that shed them from their mortal limiting skin.  Something transcendental, "where" and "to" reunite again... 

"The longing and the search for belonging" someone said, and I totally can relate with that.

I was and still am so moved by this song because it touched me at so many different levels and it touched me so very deep. I can totally feel related to it in so many different ways...

This song is so immersive to that longing feeling and like forever searching for that trascendental meaning and truths and purpose in life… That longing for home, to where we all belong, that longing for... I'm kind of lost for words trying to express it, but I know you catch me.

Do you know that Yeats poem? The song of wandering Aengus, I feel like here's the same feeling behind, like, it’s the same longing that this song reflects…
 
And, have you listened to that poem turned into a song? It’s a Donovan song.  And he again, in another song, he sings and tells a tale about the love story of Aengus, he's the protagonist once more, and his love story with Caer, the swan woman (according to some Celtic myths), but here, he swapped the feminine and masculine roles, maybe in order to hide or fold the reference, but who knows why really!  She (he in this case) was turned into a swan by a spell, and Donovan tells us the story about he (she in the song) becoming into a swan as well to live and realize and fullfil their once forbidden love; somehow, just like “enchanted” and forbidden it was in the story of the Wolf and the Raven.  

Yeah, I feel like is the same idea, being wanderers longing for home, searching in beyond the limits of this world the keys to transcendence, a way to reunite again.  And that transformation, that alchemy, that way of trespassing barriers and limits of skin, was like finally revealing or decoding or understanding the mystery to fulfill the quest, the reason for that quest, the final owning for that key...

Then, diving into another matter, it’s very suggestive to me, particularly that the song's talking about a Wolf being "feared by the same men he bleeds for", that's like "being unfairly accused and condemned by the ones you fight for", right? That blew my mind because of some very personal experiences of my life.  And here it comes to my mind a verse from another song "bleeding on the hands of the ones who nailed you down": this comes from a Chris Cornell song called "Disappearing one", and you don't know how, HOW much that song means to me as well! As I said, the reason why that allegoric idea touched me so hard has something to do with some private experiences of mine, experiences that hit me so bad.  But that said, I prefer to save them for my own.  I just wanted to mention it...

But besides that, it's impressive how the idea about bleeding and fighting and suffering precisely for the ones who stab our backs, its somehow, evocative of what tends to happen to the dark knight hero archetype, through their own hero’s journey, through its own dark path and night.

About the music, I was surprised on how this particular song has to have that particular intro-outro (beginning-end) structure, I mean, precisely that cycle musical structure that I love so much. How perfect it is to me! Then, there's its beautiful synth, choir, variations on dynamics, rhythmic, and musical structure, perfect amount and style of growling to me, everything just simply captivated me since the first time...

And last, but totally not least, there was title, yeah, of course it captivated me instantly as well, at first sight!  You’ll see, I’m very, VERY mesmerized, obsessed, passionate, and captivated by the figure of the crow and the wolf and all that they represent, both have always been part of my life (even my pseudonym, Kronida, comes from there).  Yeah, in so many different ways both were part of me, of my obsessions, my experiences, even my secrets dreams, it’s something that fascinated me long ago, and something which related me to some special people (but maybe only in my mind, I mean, only in my mind it "related" ME to them, but it's clear they are as well related to these figures anyway). So reading that title, and next listening to the song, music and lyrics... it was totally a mind-blowing experience to me!

This song is definitely something special… it definitely has and hold something special to me...

When we felt lost, then we'll probably are living without even knowing we are disconnected to where we belong, so far away from home. But holding and embracing that memories, searching for that "place" is then maybe what made of us wanderers in this world, searching and longing for that reunion to come...







Comments